Monday, May 17, 2010

Tourney Time

I'm not a very social creature, so the thought of going off to a strange place 4 hours away for 3 days with a bunch of people I don't know very well (but am getting to know better and better) was pretty intimidating. However I forced myself out of my box, knowing that it would be a lot of fun, and it would be good for me, and I was right on both counts. This is really a great bunch of women I've become a part of. And they seem to really like me a lot too, so that feels nice and warm and fuzzy.

But let's get to the hockey. First game was Friday night, and after a long hot ride (my air conditioning gave out after about 40 minutes) some time chillin' in the hotel room was perfect for pre-game prep. We had a short bench; only 8 skaters. We gained 2 more the next day but not everyone could make it for the Friday night game. We also had no coach. But we've played without a coach before, so we made our own lines and dug down and gritted out a 2-0 win. Yes, we shut them out with only 8 skaters, and not only that but it was a (bullshit) penalty parade, including 2 separate 5 on 3's. Our PK rocked. It felt really great to come right out of the gate with a win like that.

Somehow, Little Miss Not-Social's room became the hub of the off-ice revelries. There were 3 of us sharing the room, and as soon as we got back from the game people showed up in our room with beer and snacks, and we sat around chatting and ordering wings and drinking beer. It was great. I think I might have drunk tweeted a few times too. Ooops. I was also deemed Deputy Mayor of Belchertown. Good times.

Saturday morning's game was a little less inspiring. We gained 2 more players and our coach, but we played the Ringer Team. This team wiped up all the other teams with scores like 4-0, 6-0, etc. You tell me they belonged in our division. I think not. Anyway... we didn't play that great against them, and they were a better team, and we lost 4-0. Some of their players were pretty dirty, including one #27 who boarded one of our girls pretty hard (no call, of course), which resulted in her being hurt and leaving the game. Funny. I thought the USA Hockey rule was that if a player was injured the offending party got a game misconduct? Oh wait... I guess that only applies if the player who was "hurt" is a whiny drama queen. I guess if you suck it up and just leave the ice and sit on the bench with an ice pack you don't get the call. After that I decided to let the mean out a little bit, and started hacking at some ankles.

I was completely dead after that game, and tired, hungry and cranky, so I headed back to the hotel on my own for a shower and a nap. By then I really needed some alone time. Thankfully no one questions it if the goalie goes off by herself for a while. (They do not, however, give a Goalie Exemption for sleeping with a stuffed animal. Yes, I sleep with one. Yes, I brought it with me. The first night, as we were turning in and I pulled it out of my suitcase, I self-consciously said "Ok don't make fun of me but I sleep with a stuffed animal." One roommate laughed and said "We won't make fun of you. But we will take pictures." The other said "Maalivahti! You are a grown woman!" What can I say. Goalies are weird. Deal.)

After the nap I dragged myself back to the rink for the 2nd game of the day. That was the hardest one to play, physically. Also, we knew if we didn't win that game, we wouldn't go on to the championship game on Sunday morning. I'm really proud of how we played. We played GREAT, we played like a team, and we won 2-1. In the locker room afterwards the coach told us not to have any margaritas, and to be in bed by 10pm. The two 19-yr olds who were with us as guests giggled and said they were going to come around and tape our doors at "lights out" to make sure we went to bed.

To that, all I have to say is: Yeah Right. Where'd we all end up again? My room. There was talk of a side excursion to the sex store around the corner but we were all starving and tired and room service shut down at 10. It was only 9pm, but as I learned this weekend, it takes 10 women roughly 45 minutes to make a decision about ANYTHING (and then another 20 minutes to actually execute said plan), so we didn't have much time. Food and beer were consumed, though there was no overkill on the imbibing, since we all wanted to kick some serious biotch ass the next morning. (The team was called the B's. We decided that stood for BI-OTCH). After some very bizarre turns of conversation that will not be shared here, we turned in around midnight like good little hockey players.

We were all pumped for the championship game the next day, and despite it being against the Ringer Team, I thought we might actually have a chance. And we did play a lot better. Fortunately, the injured girl was able to play. Also fortunately, I exacted my own little bit of revenge on #27. I got her with the most blatant trip a goalie ever threw. She went flying on her belly and turned around to glare at me. To which all I have to say is: That's what you get for skating through the paint, sweetheart. (And yes, MsConduct10, I think that would be a fantastic thing to have on my tombstone!)

Personal revenge aside, we lost the game 5-0 (one was an empty netter) despite playing MUCH better than last time. This team was simply a level higher and no one can say they didn't leave it all on the ice. We got a silver, and we worked damn hard for it. Pictures were taken so hopefully soon I will have one to share. The ride home was bliss, too. I've done a lot of road trips, but all have been with someone else. This was the first time I've driven any decent distance by myself (4 hours). I have to say I loved it. Windows open, tunes cranked, coffee in hand. It was awesome. Well, I had to have the windows open. My gear was all spread out in the back seat, where it had been stored all weekend. (Hey we were not about to bring 3 stinky hockey bags into the hotel room). I'm wondering if it will ever dry out. And if my hip and knee will ever stop aching. But holy crap it was worth it. Next tourney is in August. I'm ready.

4 comments:

#14 said...

Congratulations, Goalie - sounds like a great time. Glad you were able to reach outside your comfort zone for something you love. Its a sign of strength, of growth, of becoming an even richer person ...even if you do sleep with stuffed animals. :)

Anonymous said...

I can relate on the stuffed animal. I have a penguin (OPUS from Bloom County) that goes EVERYWHERE with me. Even went to Iraq..and hes my travel buddy. That way when people say u have to have a buddy team, i have mine. And he loves his picture taken in places...japan, hawaii, etc..
course, when i forget him, he wont talk to me..ok, so yeah, im goalie weird...

ABNMOOSE

maalivahti said...

Ok you know what? I think if a big tough Army guy brings a stuffed animal with him then I don't ever have to feel weird about mine again. :) (and that is so cute that he gets his picture taken. maybe i should start that....)

Anonymous said...

that way its not just a picture of somewhere, it has meaning. And since he cant work the camera buttons with his flippers, its easier for me to take his picture.
plus, when i go to work on my trips, he can stay in the room and watch the cleaning ladies. Course, i never ask him just WHAT he does with them..figure its better not to know.

moose