Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Maybe there is makeup in hockey, after all

When the hockey gods tap you on the shoulder, you listen. (Or if you don't, you're a dumbass). Only days after my post about the opposing chick with her wads of eyeliner and mascara, @MsConduct10 alerted me (and the rest of twitter) to this. Besides the fact that Tuukka's deadly goalie stare froze me in my tracks, I found this article fascinating reading. Not only did it say the opposite of what I thought it would say, it also mentioned the makeup factor. Now I know what that chick on the other team is up to. She plays defense- she's gotta be using the Eyeliner Effect (tm). Written from a guy's perspective about playing against a female goalie, the article reveals that guys actually try harder to score on chicks (hello, no-brainer haha), to avoid that whole "beaten by a girl" stigma. I figured they fell into two categories: a) the ones who don't give a crap or b) the ones who condescend and "go easy" on you. Actually there's a third category which thankfully I've only run into a handful of times: the "women don't belong on the ice" category. But they can go scratch.

I figured after the makeup discussion about our last opponent, and reading this article, that chick might actually be on to something. I have actually always wondered in the back of my mind if that split nanosecond where the forward does a mental double-take at the sight of kohl-lined eyes staring back at him would give me any advantage. Being of a scientific mindset, I decided to test the theory last night.

And we, as a team, kicked ass. The other team was chippy, and by the time they were down 5-0 were really angry and consequently easy to beat. Not happy with 4 goals against... but in review, I think 2 were deflections, one was a perfect shot to the top corner through a screen, and one was the fault of my gaping 5-hole as I dithered about whether to push laterally or just butterfly block (couldn't read what the shooter was about to do). However I'm pretty proud of the final minute and a half or so, when with the score at 6-4 we went down a man and the other team naturally pulled their goalie. It was an intense full minute or so; the other team was positioned perfectly with 2 guys staying high on the points and 2 guys on top of the crease at all times. We did a great job defending against them though. I had 3 or 4 quick saves in tight and was really active with my stick and I feel that was the best part of my game. Eyeliner-induced confidence? Who knows. That might become my signature now though. Well, mine and the other chick's. No makeup in hockey, my ass.

6 comments:

#14 said...

I think you should do one eye very heavy with makeup - just to throw them off and make them think.

Either that or get a pink unicorn helmet with stars and a rainbow to really make them understand who they're facing. ;)

Nicky Robinson said...

Friend of mine showed up for a game after coming from a party in full dragon lady eye makeup and scarlet lips. No tiem to take it off - put ion the mask and go. In the first period one of her D skates over to say "Hey, is your mouth bleeding, 'cause... Oh. Lipstick." He skated away rather rapidly. Heh!

Love the blog - wanna be you in 3 years!

maalivahti said...

14- uhhh no. :P

Nicky- lol! i actually did that once, came straight from work, threw the gear on and then realized i was still wearing lipstick. hee hee. thanks for the compliment too. *blush*

maalivahti said...

PS Nicky- did you just start playing? Go you!

Nicky Robinson said...

Just played my 2nd season, so this is my one year anniversary of the whole goalie thing. Considering I'm 49 and and out-of-shape engineer... not so unhappy with my progress.

maalivahti said...

Awesome! Good for you. See, it's never too late to start. :)