There's a new guy at work. If I had to guess I'd say he's probably about 10 years older than I am. Today I had to set his computer up and add him to the network, which, since I don't have add workstation rights, took a long-ass time while I waited on hold with tech support so THEY could add him. This gave us ample time for small talk and bullshitting. (This guy talks A LOT.) Throughout the course of conversation he discovered that I 1) don't watch much tv or many movies and 2) don't have a Blackberry, and don't want one. He was incredulous. "What do you do then, read?" Um, yes, actually, I do. A lot. But his bigger conundrum was "how will I be able to bribe you then? What do you like? What do you do?" I threw the offhanded "well I play hockey" out there just to see how he'd react. (Trust me this is not a progressive-thinking man when it comes to females, I've learned this already in two short days).
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he too, used to play hockey. We talked about where/when he played for a bit and then he said the magic words. "I used to be a goalie". I practically squealed "Hey, I'm a goalie!" (Yeah, I know, not very hockey-player-like, the squealing. What can I say.)
Unfortunately there will be no goalie-geeking-out with this guy because he's too busy talking about himself and trying to impress you with everything to actually have a real conversation. I was actually interested in asking him about his style, because given his age I was thinking it probably wasn't butterfly. But he started off on a tangent about baseball, which like the actual sport itself, kinda put me to sleep.
Still pretty cool to run into not only someone in my office who used to play, but was a goalie to boot. There are only 2 other people I work with that ever played hockey, and roughly the same number of people who could hold an intelligent hockey conversation, so maybe he's not all that bad. As I left his office I said "So, now you know how to bribe me". He wrote a note on his pad and said "Yep, got it. Hockey tickets." Way to go, Goalie's Union.
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment