Monday, February 21, 2011

More Good Stuff

I walked out of PT somewhat sore today, but happy. Seems I'm progressing very well. Dr R is very pleased with my range of motion; it's almost back to normal already! (That's not to say it feels good moving my knee like that... just that I can. Die, scar tissue, die!)

I have two different types of exercises to do at home. One type is stretching, to get the range of motion back. The other is strength, to build up the wimpy little muscles in my leg. Dr R had me doing 1 set of 10 reps of the strength exercises... which honestly felt like nothing. So today when he asked how the exercises were, I told him the strength ones were too easy. "Good," he said. "Because I'm bringing you up to 30 reps." Muahaha! Be careful what you ask for, right? But the 30 reps I can tell are actually doing something; by the end I've got that burn going. He gave me some additional exercises to do as well.

I also got several pieces of good news. First off, I told him that I'd done some weight lifting for upper body, and that afterwards my knee was somewhat sore. He said that's fine, it's just that the muscles aren't used to any activity at all. It won't hurt anything, so I can keep doing that if I want. YAY! Also, he mentioned that I'd be on the bike at my next visit (Wednesday), which thrilled me. Yeah... I'm excited about riding a boring old stationary bike. But I know that's really going to help build up my muscles, so I'm very happy about that. And last, but certainly not least, he told me he didn't need to wait 2 weeks to assess my progress; that I'll be able to play in that early April tournament no problem. Since we'd already discussed that I'd definitely have to do some practices before jumping right into a game, that means I'll probably be hitting the ice sometime around very end of March, first few days of April. YEEEEEEEEAHHH! Nice to have a timetable in mind, and not have to worry about "what if" for the tournaments. Awesomeness.

I had off from work today, so tomorrow is my first day back since the brace came off, which means... I CAN DRIVE MYSELF TO WORK! I have to borrow my husband's pickup truck, because my car is a standard and I can't use the clutch yet, so that should be pretty humorous for anyone at work, seeing me pull into the lot in a truck. Ha. Know what's really weird though? We bought this truck a few years ago because his car died and we needed something big enough to haul both our hockey bags around in. We were originally thinking some kind of mid size SUV but it just so happened that this particular truck was on the lot and priced to move. All that to say- we never thought about getting a pickup. And yet years ago, before we even bought the truck, I had a dream that I drove one to work. I remember parking it, and I remember coming back out to it at the end of the day; the same color truck we have now. At the time I thought it was pretty funny. And I didn't even remember it again until just now. Weird. Maybe I should go dream about some shutouts.

1 comment:

#28 said...

Great progress & prognosis! (Spooky psychic truck dream.)