Saturday, September 3, 2011

I Haven't Showered Yet

Just thought you should know that. Such is my dedication to my blog. (Really, I just wanted to finish my coffee first). Today was the last of the Saturday morning open hockey sessions of the summer. It wasn't my best game ever, that's for sure. I wasn't horrendous- I've certainly played worse- but I just couldn't get into the zone. There were three other goalies, so we were rotating 10 min on and 10 min off, and I'm sure that had something to do with it. Plus, I think I left my balls at home today. I just wasn't being aggressive enough, wasn't challenging. I also desperately need to sharpen my skates. They have no edge whatsoever and my feet went out from under me a few times. Not good.

But, speaking of balls, I've got a great phrase to enter into the hockey lexicon. One of the goalies took a really hard shot to a really bad area. He tried to gut it out but ended up limping off to the bench. When my shift was over I skated by and asked him if he was ok and he replied "Yeah, I'm alright. Just grazed the undercarriage there." This guy's a real pisser, running his mouth (in a non-annoying way) for most of the game. He's also super friendly and supportive of other goalies; it's not unusual for him to yell out "Nice save!" all the way from the other end of the ice. As silly as it sounds, that bolsters my confidence. So hats off to the big guy. He sat on the bench for a bit but decided to call it a day. I hope he went home and sat on a giant block of ice. As the guy on the bench next to me observed "That's a shitty way to end the Saturday season."

Saturday season may be over, but the Hawks season is in full swing. We've had four games so far and our record is... get ready for this... 2-2!!!! And, having won our last two games, we're officially on a winning streak. Both wins were satisfying for reasons other than the W, but the last game was probably the best I've felt about a win (not counting tournament-winning games). We had all of 8 skaters, and were going up against one of the faster teams in the league. We battled and battled and came out with an all-around awesome team win. I think I had a really good game myself, and was even complimented by one of the refs at the end of the game.

That game was on the 25th, and our next game isn't until the 11th. At 11pm. After which we have another 11pm game the next night. Not sure how that kind of scheduling happens but that's the way it goes. That's Sunday and Monday, and then on Wednesday of that week the QCats have their first practice of the season. Which means: hockey season is almost here!! Not much longer now to wait....

No comments: