Saturday, October 18, 2008

Patience, Grasshopper

My long-distance goalie buddy "Guru" and I have fallen into the habit of texting each other after games. After Monday's debacle I texted him saying "another blowout. so frustrated". He replied: "Patience. It will come." I know he's right. I know there's a learning curve here and really, I'm no stranger to those. I just need to forge ahead and get myself on the ice as much as possible so I can work through it and climb my way up that curve.

With that in mind I was at the rink for open hockey yesterday. Not surprisingly, I ran into my coach. (I've had to put a stop to the lessons for a while for financial reasons but I still see him around). Since I already knew a little bird had told him about my shellacking, I brought it up. After joking that yeah he'd seen something on the news wire under the heading "a bad showing", he said something really interesting. He reminded me that you're never as good as your best game and you're never as bad as your worst game. Sounds like something I'd do well to remember. Guess that's why he's the coach eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Smart coach. Another is "You're only as good as your next game".

So lets see how good you are, Goalie. :)