I have officially hit the wall. I was doing so well, except for the 2 days I was sick, right up until yesterday. And then I careened into the wall and came to a dead stop. I have been really digging the Ultimate Goalie Training but I'm not gonna lie- it's hard. The workouts themselves are tough, and being disciplined enough to get up really early and spend an hour or more on them isn't any easier. But I love the way I feel when I'm done and I love the improvements I'm already seeing, so I push onwards.
But man oh man, something has to change. I'm not sure if I need to slightly reduce the number of sets on certain things or maybe start eating a little more to replace the energy. Wednesday night I had a late practice, so I didn't get up early to work out on Thursday morning. By the time I got home from work I was so wiped out that I almost didn't make it through the Ranger game- I went straight to bed as soon as I saw the stick salute. And I had no intention whatsoever of getting up early today to either go play open hockey, or work out. I slept like the dead straight through to 6:30.
Here's how it's been going, on average:
Monday- usually have a very late Sunday game, so Monday morning is out.
Tuesday - up at 5, do one of the longer workouts
Wednesday - up at 5, medium length workout. 10pm, hockey practice
Thursday - nothing is happening on Thursday morning other than me sleeping as late as possible
Friday - up at 5 to work out, or to go play 2 hours of hockey
Saturday - up by 7, work out
Sunday - light workout, usually a hockey game at night
But this week I just couldn't do it. This morning I just could not drag myself out of bed and do it. And I really needed that sleep. So, what do I do? Cut out a rep here or there? Or start having some protein-rich snacks throughout the day? I think I'll try that first. I haven't been consuming any more calories since I started this than I was before. And since the goal isn't to lose weight, that's probably a factor in the wiped out feeling. If that doesn't work, I'll have to do a little less, but I hate the thought of doing that, because I'm already not keeping to the schedule as it is, with such late games/practices.
Oh yeah, and I really need to drink lots of water. I do great for a few days and then slack back off and barely drink any. Any fitness gurus out there with any input, please feel free to post a comment. But I'm thinking maybe a higher calorie intake (of the right stuff, obviously) might help.
Right now, though, I'm intaking calories in the form of fermented grapes and sugar. And about to watch Marty's return and (hopefully!) Khabibulin. Man, I love watching goalies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Could you work out in the evenings, mon/tues/thurs?
I guess I could, but I'm actually a morning person, so mornings work better for me. If I got home from work at 5 I'm sure it would work, but I don't get home until between 6:30-7 and I need to start dinner right away. Can't imagine working out for an hour or so and THEN starting dinner... just not feasible. It's this whole work thing. It gets in the way of working out and of playing hockey. :P
Post a Comment