Monday, November 8, 2010

Just call me TOSKALOL

You know, because I've told you, that the last few games I've felt really strong and I felt I played quite well, despite what the scoreboard said at the end of the night. We lost, yet again, this time by a score of 8-3. This yoke keeps getting heavier. I would say my play last night was pretty mediocre, but only if you average it out. Some of the time I was "good lord what is that stench" awful and some of the time I made some of those saves that I have no business making. It just figures that last night I had to pull one of my more bone-headed moves, something I haven't done in a while (thankfully). It just figures, because unlike all our other games, last night's debacle is now memorialized forever on video.

One of our team-mates is half owner of a video production company. He's been saying for a while that he was going to have someone come film one of our games, and it turned out last night was it. I'd give them a shameless plug but I'm afraid you'd then go to their website and find our video, and I really don't need that stress. Because in addition to seeing a few sloppy bad goals, you'd also see my best Toskala impression.

Now, I know I know that I should be chained to the net and never, ever, ever be allowed to touch the puck. But sometimes it's just unavoidable. We were down 5-2, somewhere around the middle of the 2nd period, and with play going on in the other end, suddenly the puck came out and rolled down into my zone. Right towards me, dead on net. An attacker from the other team gave chase so I had no choice but to do something. I went out to corral it, even had my pad down behind it and everything, but it hit the cheater on my glove and bounced back out. And with me down in the wrong kind of position to be pushing over and making a save, said attacker scooped it up and plopped it into the net. And that's on video for ever and ever. Lovely.

On the other hand, I did make some good saves. I guess it was Channel Finnish Goalies Night in my brain, because I also made several awesome "take it in the flaming C" Kiprusoff saves. I really have to get a Flames jersey that I can wear over my gear (I have one but it's way too small for on-ice wearing). Because that will just never, ever get old. Ever.

Bottom line, we lost again, which I think puts us at 0-7 now. And strangely I'm still doing ok in the confidence department. Yeah, I sort of shat the bed on a few goals last night, but for some reason I'm keeping perspective on it. (Except for the whole BEING ON VIDEO thing. UGH.) In conversation with a friend, I compared myself to his big, dumb, dopey, loveable, single-brain-celled dog, and said maybe I'm just stupid like Bertha because I'm just excited to get out there every night. Good girl, Bertha!!! *dumb happy tail thump*

5 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

LOL I saw video of myself playing and it took 3 months to get my confidence back, it was so bad. Ugh.

Sorry about the losing streak. Sounds like you're handling it well though. I think you know that YOU are not the problem. Sounds like maybe your team is playing a level above where they should be?

maalivahti said...

I don't think I am the sole problem, but also know I'm certainly not on the higher end of skill. We're trying to sort that issue out now (the level we're playing at)... we lost a few of our top end guys so we're less competitive at this level than we were. We'll see what happens when we start thinking about next season.

Anonymous said...

glad to see all 3 of us are in the same kinda boat...LOL
did the same thing last week, all alone, puck at me...bounced over stick...through 5 hole..GOAL...and all i could do was laugh...
one of my teams is too high a level..15-3 being the worst beat down...but hey, makes me better seeing all the shots right?
Glad to hear your keeping your head up...remember, its for fun. LOL

moose

#14 said...

I have a Quad City Flames jersey if you want it? ;)

maalivahti said...

moose.... ooooh 15, that's brutal. but you're right, it's about having fun!

14- thank you :) but it just wouldn't be the same. "taking it in the flaming QC" is just all sorts of wrong, given that I am also a Quarry Cat. :P