I'm stuck answering phones at work for a while, so why not blog? Here's a little tidbit from Wednesday's game that I didn't include in the last post because it was already long enough, and I wanted people to actually read it. But since it's vaguely interesting I'll post it by itself.
When the Hawks joined the league many moons ago, it was comprised of several teams. The only choices left for jersey colors at that time were: orange (uhhh no thanks, not in NJ. SUCK IT FLYERS!), green (ahhh, yeah, I don't think so), or yellow or some shade thereof. Feeling like yellow was the lesser of the three evils, we decided to go with a nice loud yellow-gold. We ordered cheap gold jerseys with "HAWKS" written across the front and a vinyl number on the back and were good to go.
Several seasons later we decided that since we'd been around a while as a team and were likely to stick around for a while longer, we ordered nicer jerseys. We went with the St. Louis Blues jersey with "HAWKS" in gold, and splurged on not only numbers, but names, stitched on. They look pretty damn sweet if you ask me. We figured the one or two times we played the other team with blue jerseys we could just wear our yellow ones. Unfortunately there seems to be a jersey curse with this group. We used them for one season, and then things sort of fell apart and we didn't play over the summer (well documented by my whining on Twitter). While we managed to patch together a team for the Fall, since it's about half "old" Hawks and half "new" Hawks, we couldn't really ask all the new guys to shell out lots of money for a fancy jersey when it's really not clear what's happening beyond this season. Furthermore, all the "new" guys had gold jerseys already, so the decision kind of made itself.
All that back-story is for the new-ish readers who maybe weren't around when we got our fancy new blues and I subsequently butchered mine. So we hit the ice this week in what we're now calling our "throwbacks". Have I mentioned that now instead of having 6 or 7 teams in the league we have - count 'em - FOUR? Including us. Naturally, one of the remaining teams is the blue-jersey team. The other ones are white and green. The green team seems to have done the same thing we did at first- just got a bunch of cheap solid practice jerseys. Theirs didn't have a team name, or in some cases, even a number on them. Wednesday night, we got on the ice and there were all these guys skating around in nice blue jerseys trimmed with white. "Who the f*** are these guys?" I asked GoalieHusband. "Looks like Green Team got new jerseys", he said. So yes, in a league with all of four teams in it, two have blue jerseys, and one would really like to use their nice snazzy blue jerseys but at this point that would be ridiculous. I was remarking on this to #14 the other day when he relayed a conversation he had with the Formerly-Green-Team center prior to the inital puck-drop.
#14: Hey the new unis are nice.
Other guy: We're jackasses. They were supposed to be green. Since Blue Jersey Team wears blue, it's pretty stupid.
*puck drops*
#14 said the other center said on a later face-off "Sorry about that before. I should have just said thanks."
No, you really shouldn't have. What you said was far more entertaining. And now you're in my blog. Muahaha.
Friday, November 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
LOL That was awesome.
ha ha, I missed that exchange. So what happened exactly -- the jersey manufacturer screwed up and the team said "eh, close enough, we'll take 'em"? Is the team member placing the order color blind, or does he have a really bad monitor? Inquiring minds want to know.
#28, that is exactly what I wanted to know! what happened, did they space out and forget that they wanted green jerseys???
Post a Comment