Didn't I tell you we'd put together a win? I guess you could say "Damn, woman, out of 12 games you gotta at least win one", but you have to believe me when I say it really wasn't looking like we'd be able to do it. Until yesterday. I had that chomping-at-the-bit, get-me-the-hell-out-there feeling that comes from 7 days off the ice, but I also had a hunch. A feeling deep down in my goalie gut that we'd be able to pull this one off. And pull it off we did, to the tune of a 9-6 win. A 9-6 win which, as GoalieHusband would be quick to point out, would have been 9-5 if he hadn't turned and put the puck straight behind me short side while attempting it to wing it around behind the net. It's all good though. A win makes everything better. Now it's a funny anecdote instead of the dark cloud of insane fury and self-loathing (on his part) it could have been. Hey, I've told you he's an honorary goalie. He's just as nuts as we are. Almost.
But that's not where my night started. It started at the rink a full hour and a half before the rest of the Hawks got there, because it was Quarry Cat practice night. Fortunately, the main focus was once again on working on forechecking, so despite being worked pretty good in the first half of practice, I wasn't all that busy for the second half. Perfect. We got off the ice, I went into Locker Room 2, grabbed my bag and dragged it into Locker Room 3, chatted with the boys for a few minutes and then it was back out to face some more rubber.
I wish with all my heart that last night's game was the one that was recorded, because I think I played my best game of the season. I was so focused, probably from being partially in the "zone" for practice, and I think I played slightly more aggressively, and certainly completely balls-to-the-wall, anything-it-takes hockey. I felt like I channeled my inner Hasek with some of the saves I was making. Certainly not your textbook butterfly stuff. The one I'm most proud of would probably even make the Dominator himself smile, given that he was often credited with having eyes on the back of his head. (Ohhhhkay maalivahti, let's bring it down a notch, shall we? Perhaps he wouldn't have smiled. Maybe one of those slight goalie nods.) At any rate, I had one save where I came out to challenge, and somehow (why are the details always so foggy?) the puck ended up behind me in the blue paint while I was already down. I reached back behind me and I swear I knew EXACTLY where that puck was and just slapped my glove down over it. The whistle blew, and there I was on my back, with my glove over my head and behind me, thinking "holy shit" at the very same time I was staring up at a team-mate who was staring down at me, his voice echoing my thought. Damn that one made me feel good. I still have no idea how I knew exactly where that puck was, but I did. I wasn't guessing. Maybe I smelled it. Who knows. Way to go inner Goalie-sense.
I am by no means crediting myself for this win. We had some great offense again with the return of two guys who hadn't been playing with us this season. One is on the roster, he'd just been gone most weeks preparing for his wedding and then spending God knows how long on some gorgeous tropical island with his beautiful new wife. (Every Hawk crushed on her the instant she came and played with us one season back in Instructional League. Yes, every Hawk.) The other wasn't on the roster but he hardly counts as a ringer; he'd been playing with us for well over a year, but just didn't sign up this season. With those two clicking, the whole game seemed to open up and flow better for the entire team, and it was awfully nice to be a part of a game with that feel again. Everyone played well. I want to bottle that and bring it back next week.
Those weren't the only awesome parts of the game though. As promised, most of the Quarry Cats stayed for at least a little while to watch some of the game. And yelled. And cheered. And clapped and stomped. They had an absolutely enormous sign that they unfurled and taped to the glass that said GO HAWKS! Gionta182 and her friend took quite a bit of time to make it and that really made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. She also had her obnoxious vuvuzela with her, which she blew at every opportunity. It was fantastic. At one point, preparing for a faceoff at the right circle, I heard the ref ask one of our guys "are they here for the team or for the goalie?". They were cheering their heads off for me and for GoalieHusband, but they were certainly carrying on for the team as a whole. "LETS GO HAA-AAWKS!!!!!" *Bang-bang-bangbangbang* on the metal bleachers. It was hysterical. It sounds totally dumb but it does make a difference having people there yelling in support. And this morning, still floating on first-win and goalie-high I was totally in a "man I love you guys!" place. My team-mates - on both teams - are frikkin awesome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Congrats on your first goal of the season, GoalieHusband! ;)
Haha! That's all just awesome awesome awesome. :) Good for you AND your team because I'm sure they needed the win, too.
And why ARE the details so fuzzy? We're right there watching it happen but man, for the life of me, even right after it happens, I sometimes have to ask what just happened. LOL
CONGRATSS!!!
Maybe since we have to forget the goal that we just let in so quickly, our brains do the same thing for the saves we make?
(kinda like a survival tool?!?)
Moose
Anon- nice :P
MsConduct & Moose - Thank you!!! I'm so relieved that someone else besides me misses crucial details in their memory. I mean, you'd think we'd be the ones to have it all clearly mapped out in our heads right? It's a little embarrassing to admit "umm... I'm not sure" when someone asks "was that off my stick?" or "was I screening you?"
Post a Comment