Monday, November 1, 2010

I'll give you nightmares

I'm getting my swagger back. I'm not sure how that's possible losing games 7-1, 12-2 and now most recently 8-2, but I am. I'm feeling strong and powerful on the ice and I'm looking forward to every single outing. I give a lot of credit to the training I've started doing; that really pumps me up and makes me feel strong. Well, afterwards it does. At the time it makes me want to die and almost puke, at least the speed and agility portion of it. I'm loving the other stuff though.

So we had another game last night, and came out with another loss. Maybe I'm just delusional but this isn't frustrating the hell out of me on a personal level. Hell yeah I want to win. Losing sucks. Losing by so much sucks too. But I think it's the overall feeling of the team that makes the difference. There isn't a poisonous atmosphere anymore. Everyone out there is working their tail off, no one's slacking. It's hard to be upset when everyone's giving it their all. I guess we'll probably end up dropping down to the instructional league after this season, which is going to be hard to swing in the GoalieHousehold, but we'll figure something out. Regardless, right now we're still in this league, and yes we're getting killed every night but by HockeyGods, if anyone could get a win for pure balls-out effort it should be us.

I had a little bit of a confidence boosting experience during/after the game as well, which never hurts. During the 2nd period, we were down by I think maybe 4 goals, and there was a breakaway down the left wing. I saw it unfold, I waited... I waited.... and I totally STUFFED the guy. As in he thought he had an easy goal and BAM there I was nice and tight, no rebound thank you very much. That save made me feel great, and having him tap me on the pads between periods and say "great save" made me grin, but it wasn't until after the game that I felt the swagger come back. Right after getting off the ice, I was talking to a friend who'd come to watch the game, and that skater came over to me and said "Man that really was a good save. I'm going to have nightmares tonight because of that."

Six more days 'til I'm back out there again. Trust me, I've got perspective. I may have made a few great saves but at the end of the night we still lost 8-2. But damnit, I'm determined to just keep plugging and get that win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"BAM there I was nice and tight"
i so love hockey terms.
Keep the swagger, keep the feel good thoughts going...you can do it!

Moose

#14 said...

I think given that we're still gelling as a team, there is more of a desire to get on the same page than win at all costs. That said, I'm looking forward to having some of the regulars back next season who have helped us in the last few years. Just ain't the same without Guido and the Great White.