Thursday, November 11, 2010

Goalie envy, and late night beer & chips

Practice last night was pretty good, but not as physically intense as it's been. Coach is starting to teach the skaters some set plays that they can use in given situations, so those drills end up being a lot more cerebral. I didn't get nearly as many shots as usual, as the last 25 minutes or so were spent on diagramming plays and then working on them. Lots of stopping to explain details, etc., which is fantastic, don't get me wrong. There just wasn't a whole lot for me to do. For the last half of that time, the C team (on the other half of the ice) wrapped up their practice with a shootout contest. As I stood around waiting for our drill to pick up again, I watched the other goalie and wished I could be down there. I love shootout contests. (I'm not complaining. I completely get why what we were doing was important. I just was having some serious goalie envy.)

I kept my mouth shut though and didn't even joke around about not having many shots, because if next week's practice goes the same way I'll be more than happy. The Hawks have a game at 11. This'll be interesting.... Practice at 10, then hop over to the other surface for a game. I mentioned this in the locker room last night afterwards, and asked the girls to go easy on me next week. And that's when they decided they needed to stick around to watch our game. Ohhh boy. I warned them. I told them we're 0-7 and we've been getting killed every night, and it's not going to be pretty especially against the opponent we've got lined up. But they wouldn't be swayed. Gionta182 said she's going to make signs (oh dear lord)... But that's not all. She's bringing her vuvuzela. I hope she has at least a few occasions to make lots of obnoxious noise with it.

In truth, although I don't really want them to see how badly we are doing, I think it will bring a little bit of levity to have them yelling and banging on the glass like we did when we watched another team-mate's mens' league game. It's been a rough season. I think anything that makes it a little more light-hearted is good. And who knows, maybe this will be the week I've been saying is coming eventually.... the week that we break our winless drought.

It will certainly be fun if the revelry in the locker room last night was any indication, that's for sure. Captain sent out a text saying to bring beer, it was the Assistant Coach's birthday (not GoalieHusband... he's unfortunately on a bit of an enforced hiatus because of his miserable hours at work lately). What the Captain asks for, the Captain gets; we had about five coolers stocked in the middle of the locker room floor. I gotta tell ya, it put the mens' leagues teams that me and another girl play for to shame. Some of the girls from the C team came over and joined us, and it was packed to the gills in there. We were all putting our disgusting hockey-glove-hands into bags of chips and passing them around, and drinking beer and generally making lots of noise. I guess having 2 beers right after playing (instead of rehydrating with actual water) goes right to my head. Fortunately I wasn't driving. My car pool buddy was trying to convince me to have a third, so the ride home would be more fun. Fortunately, I declined. Two beers and three-quarters of a bag of salt & vinegar potato chips at midnight? That would have been fine 10 years ago. Even maybe 5. Not so much now. Ugggh.... Pepto, you are my friend.

It's worth every stomach-churning morning minute though.

No comments: