My enormous goals-against as of late had been quietly nibbling away at my confidence, like a small mouse in a dark corner of my brain. Numbers like 7, 8 have not been uncommon. Luckily, our team can also put up some pretty good numbers on the other side of the ice or I'd *really* feel like crap. But there must be mouse poison in that dark and dusty corner of my brain because my confidence is starting to come back. And winning 3-1 last night was a huge boost in that regard. I didn't face as many shots as I have in recent games but I still think I had a really good game. GoalieHusband said I looked very relaxed, which surprised me. I didn't feel relaxed, but I didn't feel geared-up or stressed out either.
Just as well, considering how incredibly chippy the game was. It was completley out of the refs' control by the third period, and I was glad we got out of there without an escalation to something like this. Of course, had that happened, I'd be visiting GoalieHusband in jail today.
Also somewhat humorous event to note. Of all the many (haha, 5) teams in this league, I am one of 2 female players. The other one is on the team we played last night and she has a habit of wearing EXTREME amounts of makeup, particularly eyeliner, for every game. Hey, I wear makeup when I play too, but it's usually a result of "hey this is the makeup I was wearing all day and I'm not bothering to take it off just 'cause I have a game". I'm not sure if that's the deal with this chick or she gets gussied up for games on purpose, but it's always a source of amusement to the boys in the locker room. Last night one of our guys was feeling particularly cheeky and said to her as he skated by "there's no MAKEUP in hockey!". I wish I'd heard her response. Heck, I wish he'd heard it, because I bet it was good. She was none too happy. Given my feminist leanings you'd think I'd be pissed off about this on her behalf. But I actually find it kind of funny, especially beacuse I've been known to rock the eyeliner myself on the ice now and then. (Again, never specifically FOR playing- that would be downright ridiculous).
It's just too bad that last night I actually wasn't wearing any makeup. She could have turned around and said "Fuck off asshole, look at your goalie". I might have to go with my own Cleopatra imitation when we play them again later this week, just to see what happens. So I guess there's a bit of solidarity there after all.
Monday, May 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Where is your league? I play in the Women's South Shore league out of Massachusetts. Season just ended.
I'm in NJ. Our season never ends, much to my delight! We play year round beer league. I did just start playing for a women's team too but their season ended in March- now it's tournament time! Were you at the April Showers tournament? I know it was somewhere in Mass, in mid April...
Did you notice during the olympics how many of the women's players had makeup on? That kinda blew my mind. I always end up with mascara smudged all under my eyes. Always afraid I'm going to look like I've been crying. Screw that. I only cry on the inside! ;)
Congrats on the confidence boost and the great game!
I did notice that! I give them a pass because come on you know you're going to be on TV. I don't have the running problem with most of my makeup. But one time it did, and I'd had a shitty game to boot, and I thought the same thing as you "Crap it looks like I'm crying!!!"
I think you need to kick it up a notch and go John Randle on the league: http://www.everyjoe.com/emqb/files/2008/11/john-randle_nc.jpg
Post a Comment